Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Missionaries, Cookies, Cards, & Lightbulbs

I promise that this picture makes sense. Just keep reading.....
I was asked to help with a youth girls "retreat" over the weekend. It could have been a regular sleepover, but it ended up being SO MUCH MORE! It really did my heart good to be around the sweet joy and laughter of our great FBC youth girls. It made me forget for just a moment about the ups and downs and hurt of the adoption journey.

We had dinner with and listened to an amazing missionary from Southeast Asia. The girls made cookies and cards for some local shut-ins, and also wrote letters to missionaries from around the world. It's amazing how easy it is to do something nice for someone. I would have loved to have helped the girls deliver those baskets of fresh-baked cookies and homemade cards!

Before bed, we watched a great movie about a missionary in the jungles of Columbia. If you get a chance, you need to watch " The Last Flight Out". It's definately not a big Hollywood production, but it's a great family movie with a great message.

At one point in the movie, a medical missionary is seriously injured. The pilot flying him asks why he still has faith. His response floored me. So simple, and so powerful. I have been going back to it time and time again this week. It was like a lightbulb moment for me. Ever have those?

As I wrestle with why the situation with the twins fell apart and why we haven't been successfully matched, I keep hearing " There is no better place to be than in the center of God's will- unless of course you are in His presence".

If we are meant to adopt, we will find the perfect child ( or they will find us). We've had a rough couple days letting go of the idea of bringing home those sweet girls, but we know we that things are happening as they are meant to.

P.S. The "Adoption is Love" shirts have been a big hit. THANK YOU GUYS !!! If you are interested in supporting our family on our adoption journey, you can check them out on my Facebook page ( there is an album of photos with the items/prices).

1 comment:

  1. Suzanne, my heart breaks for you but at the same time I am so hopeful for you. I remember the sting of adoption matches falling through but I can't help but look at Angie and think about not having her. Each failed match brought us closer to our baby. Praying for you girl. God's ways are best!

    ReplyDelete