Monday, February 28, 2011

Fast & Fabulous Rice Pudding with Cranberries


My way of staying sane in the kitchen is to plan out my meals. I am not great at it, but I do make sure I have what I need for the week's meals ahead of time.

My hubby works out of town all week, so he isn't too keen on fast food or quick fix meals. He basically wants meat and potatoes all the time! Monday-Wednesday and Sunday nights are quick meals ( baked chicken, chilli, salads, anything crock pot, etc.)

This is the recipe I made Friday night for dessert. Both my mother and I thought the flavor was FABULOUS!!!! However, it was my first time ever making rice pudding, so the rice was a bit undercooked. Also, I used dried cranberries instead of cherries ( I keep them on hand for oatmeal and salads).

It is well worth the 30 minutes of prep! If you try it, let me know what you think.

Ingredients


1 1/2 cups milk

1 1/2 cups water

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup uncooked long grain white rice

1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

2/3 cup dried cherries

2 tablespoons heavy cream

2 tablespoons vanilla extract

1/2 orange, zested

Ground nutmeg, for garnish, optional ( I didn't have this on hand, didn't miss it either!)

Directions

Put the rice in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water. Add milk, water, salt and rice. Cover and cook until the rice is tender. Stir in the condensed milk, cherries, and heavy cream. Cook over simmering water about 20 minutes or until the pudding thickens slightly, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and orange zest. Spoon pudding into individual bowls and sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve warm.

1 comment: